Director, Division of Anatomic Pathology
Program Director, Surgical Pathology Fellowship
The Surgical Pathology Laboratory processes approximately 120,000 tissue specimens yearly from diverse organ sites. There is an emphasis on oncological specimens particularly from the breast, lung, gastrointestinal tract, genitourinary tract, and brain. We have an active outreach service, which processes 30,000 dermatopathology and GI specimens. We play an integral part in assisting with patient management through our daily organ system-based multidisciplinary tumor board conferences where we present the pathologic findings. Research projects are clinically oriented and are ongoing in multiple areas including prostate, breast, lung, pancreas, and gynecology.
- American Board of Pathology, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, 1989; Recertified 2008
- National Board of Medical Examiners, 1982
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Pathology, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
Education and Training
- 1981, New Jersey Medical School, MD
- 1981-1982, Naval Hospital, Internship in Internal Medicine
- 1985-1989, National Naval Medical Center, Residency in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
- 1989-1990, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Fellowship in Surgical Pathology
Wong RH, Thakral B, Watkin WG, Merrell R, Wong AK, Farhat HI: Intracranial, intra-axial metastatic giant cell tumor of bone: Case report and review of literature. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2014 Feb; 117:40-3.
Shakur SF, Bit-Ivan E, Watkin WG, Merrell RT, Farhat HI: Multifocal and multicentric glioblastoma with leptomeningeal gliomatosis: A case report and review of the literature. Case Rep Med 2013; 2013:132679.
Kinonen CL, Watkin WG, Gleason BC, Johnson CE, Thomas AB, Cibull TL: An audit of dermatopathology requisitions: hand written vs. electronic medical record data entry accuracy. J Cutan Pathol 2012 Sep; 39(9):850-2.
Cham E, Watkin W, Goldschmidt R, Liu L: Fine needle aspiration cytology of the adrenocortical oncocytic neoplasm: A case report. Acta Cytol 2010 Jul-Aug; 54(4):627-34.
- Rodriguez GC, Rimel BJ, Watkin W, Turbov JM, Barry C, Du H, Maxwell GL, Cline JM: Progestin treatment induces apoptosis and modulates transforming growth factor-B in the uterine endometrium. Cancer Epidemiol BIoomarkers Prev 2008 Mar; 17(3):578-84.
Sitterding SM, Wiseman WR, Schiller CL, Luan C, Chen F, Moyano JV, Watkin WG, Wiley EL, Cyrns VL, Diaz LK: AlphaB-crystallin: A novel marker of invasive basal-like and metaplastic breast carcinomas. Ann Diagn Pathol 2008 Feb; 12(1):33-40.
Weiss J, Tsang T, Meng X, Zhang H, Kilner E, Wang E, Watkin W: Detection of Hilicobacter pylori gastritis by PCR: Correlation with inflammation socres, immunohitochemistry, and CLOtest. Am J Clin Pathol 2008 Jan; 129(1):89-96.