At the John and Carol Walter Center for Urological Health, we educate our patients so that they can fully understand their health issues in order to choose their best treatment options. Our goal is to empower our patients to be strong advocates for their own wellness and survivorship.
Providing patients and their families with urological health information is an important component of treatment at the Walter Center. Patients have online access to information about physician/nurse profiles, various diseases and answers to specific questions developed by urologists. The Walter Center is equipped with a multimedia/education room in which patients can review educational materials directed to their individual health issues.
Annual patient forums, patient support groups, special psychosocial services, and health lifestyle education are all components of NorthShore’s commitment to our patient community. These events are important to raise public awareness about urological health issues, and also to encourage participants to make lifestyle adjustments, seek screening and testing, and commit themselves to receive urological care when necessary.
- UsToo Prostate Cancer Education and Support Group: NorthShore's chapter of UsToo,a national education and support group for men with prostate cancer and their families. The NorthShore chapter is led by Daniel Shevrin, MD. We welcome wives, family members and friends. It provides resources on managing life with prostate cancer. We will host a different speaker on a range of topics from the newest treatment options to prostate cancer-friendly food to symptom management. View Meeting Times and Locations »
The following links will open up new browser windows and take you to sites that are not maintained or affiliated with NorthShore University HealthSystem. We will make our best efforts to ensure the accuracy of these external links; however we cannot guarantee the content or usability of the sites listed below.
- Wellness Place provides education, counseling and support for those affected by cancer. Located in Palatine, IL, services are provided at no charge.
- Prostate Cancer Foundation is the leading philanthropic organization funding and accelerating prostate cancer research globally. NorthShore recently received a 2-year, $300,000 Creativity Award from the PCF for a research project on fat and prostate tumor progression.
- American Cancer Society is a nationwide, community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem.
- National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC) is an information dissemination service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK). The NIDDK is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), which is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. NKUDIC was established in 1987 to increase knowledge and understanding about diseases of the kidneys and urologic system among people with these conditions and their families, health care professionals, and the general public.
- Women Against Prostate Cancer (WAPC) ia a national organization working to unite the voices and provide support for the millions of women affected by prostate cancer, and their families. WAPC advocates prostate cancer education, public awareness, screenings, legislation, and treatment options.
Disease Specific Resources
For More Information
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 847.503.3000.